Yields: 8-10 | Prep Time: 1 hour | Cook Time: 1 hour 55 minutes.
1 teaspoon saffron
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 dozen small clams
1 dozen mussels
10 large shrimp in shell
1 table spoon smoked paprika
8 tablespoon olive oil
5 cloves garlic
1 onion chopped, finely chopped
2 table spoon tomato paste
2 cups bomba or arborio rice
1 cup fresh peas
4 chicken thighs (optional)
1/4 cup white wine
6 cups clam or seafood broth
1. In a large dense bowl soak clams/mussels in cold water. Scrub to remove any sand remaining. Rinse and set aside.
2. In large stock pot heat broth and stir in saffron on medium heat. Season meat, and shellfish with salt/pepper.
3. Finely chop garlic, red peppers, green peppers, onions and garlic. (option to blend for sofrito)
4. In a sauté pan, heat 6 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high add chicken and brown for 6 min on each side. Remove to a warm platter. Add garlic, and onions to pan for 4-5 min until starting to color. Stir in the red peppers, green peppers, and paprika to pan. Sauté for a few mins, add tomato paste and stir. Deglaze with white wine on high heat, and scrape brownings from meat. Once the wine reduces add the rice to the pan and stir until translucent. Return meat back to the pan.
5. Add seafood saffron infused broth to the rice and cook on high heat for 10min. Do not lift the lid to get the perfect socarrat. Remove lid, and lower heat. Arrange shrimp, clams, mussels, and peas over rice. Be sure to place shellfish facing open to ensure opening. Place lid on top and proceed to cook for another 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
6. Remove from heat and allow to rest 5 min. Garnish with Parsley and lemon wedges.